Birth Control Nausea Remedy: How To Prevent, Reduce Nausea From Birth Control Pills
How To Prevent Nausea & Stop Dizziness While Taking Birth Control Pills
Since its introduction in 1960, birth control pills have proved to be very effective. In fact, studies show that the pills are more than 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. However, birth control pills have been known to cause nausea when taken and there is an explanation for that. Most birth control pills contain estrogen. Estrogen is a hormone in the body which is transported through the blood, it is a very active growth and development hormone which greatly controls and regulates the reproductive system. The level of nausea experienced while taking contraceptive pills depends on the amount of estrogen contained in the particular pill being consumed. Pills with a higher dose of estrogen are more likely to cause stomach upset which in turn leads to nausea. There are also other side effects of birth control pills asides nausea, like vomiting, mood swings, missed menstrual periods, weight gain and sometimes headaches. So, if you experience any of these signs, it is quite normal.
The nausea is most commonly present during the first 2 or 3 months of taking contraceptive pills. Before anything, you should check with your doctor to make sure that the type of birth control pills you use is the right type for you.
How To Prevent Nausea While Taking Birth Control Pills
Although the nausea is an effect which will most likely be present when taking the contraceptive pills, there are some measures which can be taken to prevent the feeling.
- Avoid taking birth control pills on an empty stomach. When the estrogen interacts with the acid present in your stomach, it can cause nausea. This is why you are advised to take fruits or light snacks when you take the pills.
- Take antacid about 30 minutes before taking the pills.
- According to Planned Parenthood, there is a better chance of preventing nausea from birth control pills when the pills are taken in the evenings rather than in the mornings.
- Give it time. Sometimes it is your body?s reaction to a new substance, wait and see if your body will adjust to the hormone levels and the nausea will pass.
How To Treat Nausea Caused By Birth Control Pills
- Take cold drinks
- A cup of ginger tea has been studied to make positive differences
- Reduce the size of your meal intake
- Avoid food with very strong flavors
- There are also certain points on the wrist which when the right amount of pressure is applied to, can relieve mild nausea.
Generally, to prevent nausea the trick is to choose birth control pills with a lower amount of estrogen present in it, these pills are called Low-Dose Pills. They contain up to 35 micro-grams or less of estrogen. Some examples of pills low in estrogen are;
- Drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol (Yasmin)
- Norgestrel and ethinyl estradiol (Lo/Ovral-28)
- Levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol (Levora)
Remember to check in with your doctor, as even the low dose pills can affect some people especially people with certain health issues.
Frequently Asked Questions About Birth Control Pills And Nausea
What Remedy Do You Suggest For Nausea From Birth Control
Please follow the above remedy.
how long does nausea from birth control last
It varies from individual. Some women experience it for days, others for months while for others it never stops.
I’m Nauseous On Birth Control, Could I Be Pregnant
If you are on birth control pill, pregnancy is not something that can come by easily as some of the pills are 99.9% effective. Your body’s reaction to the pill is what is causing the nausea in the first place. Please talk to your doctor.
birth control pills stomach problems
This condition is called nausea. It can be treated if your exact situation is known.
If you are using IUD, your body may be reacting to it negatively. Otherwise, you need to talk to your doctor about your birth control pill.
Why Is birth control suddenly making me nauseous
This happen to most women. For some it takes months while for others, it takes correct itse
how to stop dizziness from birth control
Please read the remedy stated above.