How To Prevent Cancer Naturally: 10 Ways To Keep Your Body Healthy & Strong
Cancer is a killer and must be prevented by all means. Though there are no sure ways of preventing cancer, its risk can be greatly reduced. In this article, we will be discussing how different types of cancer can be prevented, foods that prevent cancer and common habits that increases ones risk of cancer.
How to prevent cancer before it starts
Being a user of tobacco makes you a perfect candidate for cancer. Many types of cancer have been found to be associated with smoking. Cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth, larynx, bladder, pancreas, kidney and cervix are part of them. Cancer of the pancreas and oral cavity has been linked to chewing tobacco. Being exposed to secondhand smoke in makes one at a great risk of having lung cancer.
If you want cancer to stay far away from you, stooping tobacco completely is a great step
Eat healthy foods
Though cancer cannot be said to prevent cancer, you can reduce your risk by doing the following:
- Eat fruits: eating a lot of fruits and vegetables can help you build up the level of antioxidants in your body to help you scavenge free radicals that have been known to cause cancer and other terminal diseases. You should base your food from plant source in which fruits and vegetables are part of.
- Avoid alcohol: alcohol intake should be minimal or completely excluded from the life of a person who wants to prevent cancer. Drinking alcohol increases a person?s risk of having cancer of the breast, liver, kidney, colon, etc.
- Reduce your intake of processed meat a report from the cancer agency of WHO concluded that the risk of some certain types of cancer can be increased by taking large amount of processed meat.
?3. Be vaccinated
There are infections that can increase a person?s risk of cancer. These viral infections include Hepatitis B and Human papillomavirus (HPV).
Hepatitis B is known for increasing the risk of developing liver cancer and adults who are more vulnerable to this infection are advised to get vaccinated.
Likewise, HPV being a sexually transmitted virus can lead to cancer or the cervix or genitals. Males and females between the ages of 9 and 45 are advised to also be vaccinated against this dreadful virus.
Reduce your exposure to sunlight
Too much exposure to the sun is one of the causes of skin cancer and you can prevent increasing your risk by
- Staying away from midday sun which is usually between 10 a.m to 4 p.m.
- Wearing clothes that are lightly woven which cover as much part of the skin as possible.
- Using a broad-spectrum sunscreen which has an SPF of not less than 30 even during cloudy days.
- Avoiding tanning beds and side lamps because they damage as much as natural sunlight.
Be physically active
Being physically active will help you maintain a healthy weight. Having a healthy weight reduces ones risk of having breast, prostrate, kidney, lung, and colon cancer.
Getting engaged in some regular physical exercise can help you lower your risk to a reasonable extent.
Keeping yourself safe from the exposure of viruses like HIV and HPV will help you reduce your risk greatly. To stay safe, you have to practice safe sex and avoid sharing needles and other sharp objects.
Go for regular check up
Take advantage of the regular screening and self-examination for different types of cancer. By doing this, people have discovered early stages of cancer and have to treated successfully. You can get more information about this screening and self-examination from your doctor.
How to prevent blood cancer
Cancer of the blood is a prevailing type of cancer and it is of three types: myeloma, lymphoma and leukaemia. It is usually characterized by bleeding gums, fever, back, abdominal and bone pain, enlargement of the lymph node, etc. this type of cancer can be prevented by reducing the risk of cancer. You can do this by going for regular screening to aid the early detection of cancer. You can also reduce your risk by
- Avoiding exposure to radiations
- Eating balanced diets
- Avoid or reduce your exposure to dangerous chemicals.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Taking all the measures that are necessary for cancer prevention.
How to prevent breast cancer
Cancer as we know cannot be prevented but its risk can be greatly reduced. Breast cancer, is the most common cancer in women and its risk can be lowered drastically by maintain a healthy lifestyle. The following are things you can do to reduce your risk of this cancer.
- Limit your intake of alcohol as taking alcohol increases your risk of of developing breast cancer.
- Say no to smoking especially during your premenopausal age.
- Greatly reduce your dose and duration of hormonal therapy. Using combination hormonal therapy for more than three to five years has increased the risk of breast cancer in many.
- Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight
- Breast feed. It is believed that breastfeeding plays a role in the prevention of breast cancer so breast feed for a longer period to increase your level of protection.
- Keep yourself away from radiation and air pollution. You get exposed to radiation anytime you go for some methods of medical-imaging like computerized tomography.
How to prevent cancer with food (cancer prevention diet)
There are some foods that are known to fight cancer and lower its risk. Most of the foods have antioxidant properties that help scavenge free radicals in the body which have been known to be a major cause of cancer. Some of these foods are:
Carrot has been found to be great at reducing cancer. According to researches, eating carrots have been found to reduce the risk of stomach cancer by 26% and prostate cancer by 18%. Another research also showed that smokers who that do not eat carrot have a risk of developing lung cancer increased thrice compared to those who ate carrot regularly.
Sulforaphane is found in broccoli. This compound is usually found in cruciferous vegetables and it is known to possess anticancer properties. From a test-tube study, sulforaphane was found to reduce the size and amount of breast cancer cells by 75%.
Beans contain high amount of fiber which according to some studies have been said to fight against colorectal cancer. Another study shows that eating beans often can help reduce the risk of having a reoccurring tumor.
Olive oil is very rich and it has so many health benefits. One of its benefits is protecting the body against cancer. Taking a high amount of olive oil according to some studies can reduce a person?s risk of developing breast cancer and cancer of the digestive system.
Cinnamon has many health benefits and it is particularly known for reducing blood sugar level and easing inflammation. From the results gotten from many researches, it has been concluded that including 2-4 grams which is ? or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in your diet daily may be helpful in preventing cancer.
Others include turmeric, garlic, flax seeds, tomatoes, etc.
Common things and daily habits that cause cancer and how to prevent them
There are many habits that are part of our day to day activities that cause cancer. Some of them are
Frequent flying has been found to expose its passengers to a high level of UV rays and UV radiations are a major cause of skin cancer. According to a study that was published in JAMA Dermatology ?in 2015, flying above 30,000 feet doubles the level of UV radiations compared to that on the ground.
This can be prevented by reducing the amount of times a person flies if possible. This will help reduce the exposure to the UV radiations thereby reducing the risk of developing this killer disease.
Using scented candles
Scented candles are good in providing relaxation can also cause great damage if used for a long time. This is because it contains very dangerous chemicals like toluene and benzene and inhaling them increases a person?s risk of cancer. This is according to the United State Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Reducing or completely eliminating the use of scented candles can help a person to be free from this cancer causing agent thereby reducing a person?s risk of cancer.
Missing out on flossing
Not maintaining a good oral hygiene is the cause of gum diseases and according to a study carried out in 2018 and published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute showed that gum disease contributes about 24% to the increase in the risk of developing both lung and colorectal cancer.
This can be prevented by maintain a healthy oral hygiene. To do this, brush, floss and use mouthwash to keep your mouth clean and free from germs.
The smoke from burning incense according to a 2008 study published in the journal named Cancer is said to be able to cause cancer. This research showed that individuals who have used incense for a long time have an increased risk of having a type of lung cancer called squamous cell carcinoma of the respiratory tract.
The use of incense should not be frequent if its effect is to be greatly reduced. It can be used once a week but should not be used daily.