PEARS HEALTH BENEFITS, SIDE EFFECTS, AND NUTRITION FACTS
The pear tree is a medium-sized tree which is native to Western Europe, North Africa, and Asia. They are especially known for their edible fruits (pear) and the juices from these fruits. Evidence shows that the pear was used in prehistoric times as food. In many of such prehistoric dwellings, there have been traces of the existence of pears in those places.
- THEY DO NOT TRIGGER ALLERGIC REACTIONS
Pears are one of the few fruits that one can give to children without having to fear allergic reactions. When compared to other fruits, a person who consumes pears will have less chance of having an allergic reaction.
- THEY CAN PREVENT HEART DISEASES
The pear is very rich in fiber and because of its high fiber content; it helps to reduce the cholesterol present in the body, thus protecting the person from the risk of having a heart disease. In fact, taking foods rich in fiber, such as the pear, can help reduce the risk of getting a stroke by about 50%.
- HELPS IN THE PREVENTION OF CANCER
Due to the high fiber content of pears, cancer can be prevented. This is because these fibers help remove carcinogenic cells from the body by binding to them, thus preventing colon cancer. Research shows that for women who are past menopause, eating a pear a day, can help reduce the risk of getting breast cancer by 34%.
- CAN HELP TO PREVENT OSTEOPOROSIS
Osteoporosis is a bone disease or condition whereby the bones become weak and fragile and can easily fracture. In more severe cases of osteoporosis, the bones can break or fracture from just sneezing or minor bumps.
To prevent osteoporosis and to maintain a healthy bone, the pH level of the body has to be maintained by consuming the amount of calcium the body requires daily. Fruits and vegetables rich in calcium can help maintain the pH of the body. Pears are rich in calcium which can give strength to the bones and it also contains boron which helps the body to absorb calcium easily into the body.
- CAN BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
The pear is also very rich in antioxidants which are useful in boosting the immune system of an individual. Antioxidants like Vitamin C and Copper can also help the body fight against diseases and also prevent diseases in the future.
- THEY CAN HELP CONTROL THE BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
Pears can help in preventing diabetes by maintaining the blood sugar levels of the body. Even though they contain fiber and are sweet, they still help maintain the blood sugar levels.
- CAN HELP DURING PREGNANCY
There are times when babies are born with birth defects. This could be due to low levels of folic acid in the body. Hence, folic acid in the right quantity can help prevent babies from having birth defects.
Pears are also rich in folic acid and can be very beneficial for pregnant women. Eating pears at recommended quantity regularly can help prevent the risk of having a baby with a birth defect.
- HELPS AID DIGESTION
Pears are especially rich in fiber (eating a medium-sized pear contains about 20-25% of the required amount of fibers recommended daily) and are very effective in improving digestion. Fiber easily moves through the colon since it is insoluble and can also help prevent colon polyps.
- PROVIDES THE NEEDED ENERGY LEVELS
Pears are rich in glucose which can provide the needed energy especially when you feel weak. The glucose present in the pear gets absorbed into the body very quickly and provides energy. Eating a pear at breakfast can give you the needed energy to start your day.
- EFFECTIVE FOR WEANING CHILDREN
Pears are recommended for weaning children because they have a low acid content and because they not cause allergies. Hence, giving your child pears will not create any digestion problems.
The pear can be given in any way you see fit. It can be heated or peeled before giving your children. The peeled part of the pear can also be eaten, but you should make sure there are no harsh edges that can harm your children.
- CAN HELP REDUCE DRYNESS OF THE HAIR
Pears are rich in Vitamin C (natural oxidants) which helps maintain the cells of the hair, keeping them healthy and conditioned. The pears also provide moisture to the hair, preventing dryness.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY AND NOURISHED HAIR
Pears contain a compound called sorbitol which promotes the healthy growth of the hair. It does this by providing nutrients for the hair roots, nourishing the scalps and providing moisture for the hair. All this gives you that healthy hair.
- HELPS IN TREATING THE LIPS
Pears can also give you soft and smooth lips. Their extracts contain lactic acid which helps to keep the cells of lips hydrated and healthy for long.
- IT IS AN EFFECTIVE NATURAL SCRUB
Pears contain natural enzymes which make them good scrubbing agents. These enzymes present in pears helps to remove dead skin cells present on the surface of the skin. You can blend a selected quantity of pear into your face pack and use it to exfoliate your skin, giving you a soft healthy skin.
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST OILY SKINS
Pears can also be used to remove excess oil from the skin, especially the face. You can mash some pear into fresh cream and honey to make a paste for your skin. Apply the paste over your face and leave for some time after which you can wash your face. This will reduce the secretions in your face to some extent.
- CAN HELP YOU GET RID OF ACNE
Pears are very rich in vitamins and essential minerals needed by the body. These nutrients can help boost the immunity of the skin cells, making them stronger. This helps a person who has acne to be better able to fight the acne, pimples as well as other skin diseases.
- HELPS TO PREVENT WRINKLES
This fruit is rich in Vitamin C and K as well as copper which is powerful antioxidants. These elements can help protect the skin from any sort of damage by fighting harmful free radicals in the body. They also help to prevent wrinkles and the formation of lines near our eyes and lips. Eating a pear daily can help reduce the aging process, giving you that glowing skin even at old age.
- HELPS PREVENT DAMAGE TO SKIN
The dietary fiber present in pears reduces the amount of sugar discharged into the bloodstream and prevents the skin collagen from damaging. This keeps your skin soft and smooth.
- HELPS PREVENT INFLAMMATION
Pears also possess anti-inflammatory properties which help prevent inflammation in the body such as inflammation or arthritis and others.
- PREVENTS PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE THROAT
During summer, it is easy to get dehydrated and the throat can become dry. Eating a pear each day or drinking its juice will surely help prevent any problems associated with your throat.
- PREVENTS SHORTNESS OF BREATH
During hot summer days, eating a pear each day of drinking its juices will help prevent shortness of breath.
- HELPS PREVENT FEVER
Due to its cooling effect, pears can help in fighting against fever and preventing fever in the body.
- HELPS MAINTAIN BLOOD PRESSURE LEVELS
Pears contain antioxidants and anti-carcinogen glutathione which are effective in maintaining the blood pressure in the body.
Side Effects Of Eating Pears
- When the amount of folic acid present in the body is too much, it can cause health problems and can lead to nausea, seizures, cramps, sleep disorders, or rashes. This is why it is advised that you eat pears in moderate quantity.
- If too much of pear is eaten, it can lead to an increased amount of fiber in the body which can cause constipation, diarrhea, cramping, and intestinal gas. In addition, it can interfere with the normal absorption of food nutrients in the body.
- Pears are rich in calories and eating too much of it can affect weight loss program, making it harder for you to lose weight.
- If pears are not eaten in moderation, it can lead to high levels of Vitamin C in the body. This can cause vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, heartburn, headache, and nausea.
- High levels of oxidants can actually increase the risk of getting cancer and can worsen cancer.
- Pears could affect medications taken to maintain blood pressure, dropping it to very low levels which can cause blurry vision, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and death.
- High level of iron in the body can cause joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, hair loss, and high blood sugar.
Pears Nutrition Facts
100 grams of pear contains 57 calories, 0.1 gram of total fat content, 1 milligram of sodium, 116 milligrams of potassium, 15 grams of total carbohydrate content, 3.1 grams of dietary fiber, 10 grams of sugar, and 0.4 grams of proteins.
100 grams of pear will meet the following daily requirements:
- 3% of Potassium.
- 5% of Carbohydrates.
- 12% of dietary fiber.
- 7% of Vitamin C.
- 1% of Iron.
- 1% of Magnesium.
APPLE PEAR HEALTH BENEFITS
- The apple pear is very rich in dietary fiber. In fact, one large sized apple pear can provide up to 39% of the required daily intake. Dietary fiber can help you to maintain a healthy body weight and can make you feel fuller.
- Potassium is very important or the body cells, organs, and tissues to function properly. Apple pears provide about 7% of the required potassium intake in a day. This increase in potassium can help lower high blood pressure.
- Apple pears are very rich in Vitamin C and these vitamins help in removing free radicals in the body. They help wounds to heal faster; they repair body tissues and help maintain the strength of the bones and teeth. Due to its anti-oxidative effects, Vitamin C can also be an effective source of cancer prevention.
BENEFITS OF AVOCADO PEARS
- Avocado pears are very rich in potassium and are effective in reducing blood pressure. Interestingly, avocado pears have more potassium than bananas, which are high-potassium food.
- Avocado pears contain oleic acid which is a monounsaturated fatty acid which is believed to be effective in reducing inflammation.
- Avocado pears are also rich in fiber which can help promote weight loss.
HOW TO EAT PEAR FRUITS
- You can decide to eat the pear as you would an apple. If you would rather prefer to eat only the flesh without the skin, you can peel off the skin and enjoy the rich taste of its flesh.
- If eating it from your hand seems a bit too stressful, you can slice the pear.
- You can make a juice out of the pear.
PEAR FRUIT DURING PREGNANCY
Pears can provide the following benefits during pregnancy
- They provide your body with enough nutrients to fight against diseases, thus protecting your baby.
- Its richness in calories will provide pregnant mothers with enough energy.
- They can also help remove harmful toxins from your body.
BENEFITS OF PEAR WEIGHT LOSS
Pears are rich in fiber which is very helpful in weight loss. They help you feel full, reducing your intake of fatty foods.
TYPES OF PEARS
- Bartlett pear.
- Apple pear.
- Avocado pear.
- Bosc pear.
- Comice pear.
- Concorde pear.
- Seckel pear.
ARE PEARS FATTENING?
Pears are important in preventing weight gain and they promote weight loss. So, pears are not fattening. It is however important that they are consumed in moderate quantities.