JAUNDICE, YELLOW EYES HOME REMEDIES: HOW TO CURE JAUNDICE & GET RID OF YELLOW EYES FAST
According to research, 6 out of every 10 babies born in the U.S have infantile jaundice. As a result, most cases of jaundice are found in neonates. Regardless, jaundice can also occur in adults.
Jaundice treatment mainly involves managing the cause of the condition and range from the use of anti-viral medications to the use of iron supplements.
In this article, we shall get to know about the causes and symptoms of jaundice, as well as some natural home remedies for the condition.
What is jaundice?
Jaundice, which is also known as icterus, is a medical condition that is marked by the yellowing of the skin and/or white of the eyes, which is as a result of the accumulation of bilirubin in the blood.
Etymologically, jaundice is derived from “jaune” a French word for yellow. In most cases, jaundice is a sign of some underlying medical condition.
Types of jaundice
There are three major types of jaundice:
- Hemolytic jaundice: This is a type of jaundice that arises due to hemolysis – excessive breakdown of red blood cells.
- Hepatocellular jaundice: This type of jaundice is mostly as a result of a liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis.
- Obstructive jaundice: Obstructive jaundice is caused by an obstruction in the bile duct, preventing the excretion of bilirubin from the liver.
Causes of jaundice
Although jaundice is basically caused by a build-up of bilirubin – a bile pigment – in the blood, it can also be a symptom of some other condition like gallstone or anemia.
The accumulation of bilirubin is due to an improper processing of the pigment in the body, which may be the result of liver malfunction. Bilirubin is a waste residue left in the blood after iron is metabolized. Bilirubin is yellow in color, which is the reason for the yellowing skin and white of the eyes.
Jaundice can affect adults as well as babies. In adults, jaundice is usually the result of some disease; while infantile jaundice is mostly due to the fact that the infant’s liver isn’t fully formed yet so as to properly process bilirubin. Infantile jaundice is normally innocuous and goes away after some time.
That said, the causes of jaundice are generally classified into three categories: pre-hepatic, hepatic, and post-hepatic causes. The difference between the three groups is in whether the condition occurs before, during, or after bile is secreted in the liver.
Symptoms of jaundice
The following are some of the common symptoms of jaundice:
- Yellowing of the skin and the white of the eyes
- Discolored urine
- High fever
- Poor appetite
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Pale stools
In babies, jaundice can cause other symptoms such as persistent high pitched crying, dazedness, and difficulty waking up.
Natural home remedies for jaundice
Here are some home remedies for correcting the yellowed eyes and skin, as well as other symptoms associated with jaundice:
- Sunlight: Infantile jaundice can be cured through phototherapy, which is a method of treating jaundice that involves exposing the affected child to strong light. Exposing newborn babies that have jaundice to sunlight has been shown to be an effective way of controlling the elevated biluribin levels in the body.
- Bitter luffa: The juice extract of the bitter luffa flower can be used for treating jaundice. To achieve this, get some bitter luffa flowers and squeeze to obtain the juice. Then, with the juice on your palm, inhale the liquid through your nostrils. When you do that, a yellow-colored liquid will come out from your nostrils. The yellow liquid is the bile pigment, bilirubin.
- Papaya: Papaya, or pawpaw, is a powerful plant that finds use in the treatment of various ailments. The leaves of the papaya tree are rich in antioxidants and enzymes like papain and chymopapain, which are beneficial to digestive and liver health. To prepare a remedy from papaya, crush some papaya leaves to extract the juice. Then, add the extracted juice (half a tablespoon) to a tablespoon of honey and drink.
- Goat’s milk: As an alternative to cow’s milk, goat’s milk is rich in essential vitamins and minerals that should benefit people suffering from jaundice. Both adult and infant jaundice can be corrected by drinking goat’s milk.
- Ginger: Ginger root is another helpful herb that can be used in treating jaundice. The antioxidant properties of ginger come into play here, as they help in promoting proper liver functioning. You can benefit from ginger by making ginger tea or adding ginger to your daily diet. To prepare ginger tea, peel and mince some ginger roots and add to boiling water. After boiling for about 5 minutes, allow the mixture to steep (for another 5 minutes) and then strain.
- Lemon juice: Drinking lemon juice diluted in water is another home remedy for jaundice in adults. Lemon contains active antioxidants that help to free any obstruction in the bile duct. Make sure to drink the mixture at least 3 times every day to get best results.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a good source probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria and help in metabolizing bilirubin in the body. This remedy can be beneficial to pregnant and nursing women who have babies with jaundice.
- Oregano: Oregano leaves can also be used for treating jaundice. One teaspoon of crushed oregano leaves added to boiling water and subsequently filtered makes a natural remedy for various health conditions, including jaundice. Oregano helps in this way because of its rich antioxidant content that help in the breakdown of excess bilirubin in the body.
- Basil leaves: Also known as tulsi, holy basil is another natural remedy for jaundice. Holy basil leaves are known to have liver-protective properties that are beneficial in treating hepatocellular and obstructive types of jaundice. To treat jaundice using holy basil, chew on some holy basil leaves. Another method is to crush the leaves and add the paste to a juice and consume.
- Sugarcane juice: Sugarcane juice is used for treating jaundice in adults because of its liver-function-promoting properties. Since most cases of jaundice arise due to liver malfunction, drinking sugarcane juice daily will help to cure the condition, as well as aid in prevention.
- Radish leaves: Jaundice symptoms like loss of appetite and pale stools can be corrected by taking radish leaf extract. To obtain the extract, grind some radish leaves and use a strain. This method should be used only by adults and done once every day until the symptoms subside.
- Barley water: The diuretic and antioxidant properties of barley can be beneficial in the treatment of jaundice. You can prepare barley water by adding a teaspoon of ground roasted barley seed to a glass of water and one teaspoon of honey.
- Tomatoes: Lycopene, which is the main compound in tomatoes that gives the fruit its characteristic red color, is helpful in cleansing the liver of toxins. Thence, consuming tomatoes will help to keep the liver protected. For this remedy, you will need to boil 3 average size tomatoes in water, strain the mixture, and then drink when cool.
- Almond: You can benefit from the medicinal properties of almonds if you have jaundice. Soak some almonds, dates and cardamoms in water overnight, and then in the morning strain and crush to make a paste. Consume the paste several times during the day to treat jaundice.
- Turmeric: Drinking a mixture of turmeric powder in water at least three times daily will help to relieve jaundice symptoms.
- Green grape: Green grape helps to cure jaundice by boosting liver function. Drinking one cup of green grape juice everyday is a natural way of treating jaundice in adults and infants.
- Buttermilk: You can benefit from buttermilk by mixing it with roasted alum and black peeper before drinking.
- Eat vitamin D-rich foods: Infants with jaundice have been observed to have vitamin D deficiency, according to a recent study. Breastfeeding mothers can increase their vitamin D intake by consuming more vitamin D-rich foods like fish and eggs.
- Carrot juice: Drinking carrot juice several times during the day is another natural method of curing jaundice at home. Carrot contains many antioxidants such as beta carotenes that benefit the body in various ways.
- Amla or Indian gooseberry: Mixing one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry with a glass of water and drinking is a natural way of treating jaundice.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate can also help in curing jaundice. This is because pomegranate is loaded with many helpful chemical compounds. You can benefit from pomegranates by drinking the juice or eating the fruit.
- Garlic: Garlic is a storehouse of medicinal properties. One of garlic’s many antioxidants is allicin, which has detoxifying properties that should benefit the liver. If you have jaundice, you can chew on some garlic cloves or add chopped cloves of garlic to your meal.
- Chicory plant: Chicory plant is another hepatoprotective herbal plant. All parts of the plant, including the flowers, roots, and seeds can be processed to make a remedy for jaundice.
Foods To Avoid If You Have Jaundice
Avoid the following foods: If you have jaundice, it is recommended that you stay away from the following foods:
- Alcohol and caffeine
- High-carb foods
- Fried and spicy foods
- Non-pasteurized milk
Other natural remedies for jaundice are snake gourd leaves, bael leaves, pigeon pea leaves, etc.
Jaundice is, in rare cases, a dangerous condition. However, delaying treatment can lead to several complications. Hence, it is advised that you visit your doctor when you notice any yellowing in the eyes or skin.