HOME REMEDIES FOR STRETCH MARKS: HOW TO REMOVE STRETCH MARKS ON BELLY, THIGHS & ARMS NATURALLY
The sight of stretch marks can be quite defacing. For some people, they don?t take it as a serious issue as the marks vanish over time, whereas others try myriad of solutions, all to no avail.
Stretch marks can be treated by using different methods. Conventional medical remedies for stretch marks include the use of laser therapy, ultrasound treatment, and chemical peels.
While most of these standard treatment methods are effective, there is a variation in the effectiveness of each method. And besides, some methods may not work for some persons. Hence, alternative remedies are always sought by people with stretch marks.
In this article, we shall take a look on some of the most effect ways of removing stretch marks at home, using natural means.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks, also known medically as striae distensae, are bands of skin that occur due to tension around the affected area.
Stretch marks, as they are called are narrow stretches of skin due to loss of skin elasticity. These marks are more likely to appear in areas of the skin with high fatty content, such as the buttocks, hips, and thighs.
That said, stretch marks can affect anyone, regardless of age. However, certain factors can increase the likelihood of developing stretch marks.
Causes of stretch marks
Stretch marks are caused due to various reasons, which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Weight training
- Cushing?s disease
- Use of certain creams
Natural home remedies for stretch marks
The following are some natural remedies for stretch marks which can be tried at home:
- Cocoa butter: Cocoa butter is the fat extracted from cocoa beans. You can use cocoa butter as a home remedy for stretch marks due to its moisturizing effect, along with the plethora of nutrients it contains. Pregnant women can take advantage of cocoa butter in reducing stretch marks during pregnancy by applying it at night before going to bed.
- Baking soda: Baking soda has skin exfoliating properties i.e. it helps to get rid of dead skin cells from the body. To use baking soda for the purpose of removing stretch marks, mix some baking soda powder with lemon juice enough to form a paste. Afterward, apply the paste on the stretch marks and leave on for about half an hour before rinsing. You can use a cloth to secure the paste.
- Turmeric: Besides the culinary uses of turmeric, it also finds use in the treatment of various health conditions, including stretch marks. Turmeric is beneficial here because of its anti-inflammatory properties, thanks majorly to curcumin, which is the major component in turmeric. For this method, mix a tablespoon of turmeric powder with a tablespoon of yogurt and apply on your stretch marks and leave for about 15 minutes.
- Extra virgin olive oil: You can apply some previously heated olive oil on your stretch marks and leave for a few minutes to get a smooth skin. Olive oil works this way because of its wide collection of nutrients and vitamins that are nourishing to the skin. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of the oil also help to get rid of stretch marks.
- Argon oil: Argon oil is packed with many antioxidants and minerals, such as vitamin E. Skin problems like marks and scars can be reduced by applying argon oil. To benefit from argon oil, apply the oil directly on the affected areas and massage for about one minute. Repeat the process two times each day and watch how your stretch marks disappear in little time.
- Castor oil: Topical application of castor oil on skin with stretch marks will help to moisturize and nourish the skin, thereby promoting healing of the marks.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a common name when it comes to treatment of skin problems using natural methods. Aloe vera gel has skin-regenerative and healing properties that should be useful in treating stretch marks. All you have to do is to use a spoon to scoop the gel from an aloe vera plant, and then rub the gel on the affected areas. Leave the gel on for about half an hour before washing off with warm water.
- Almond oil and coconut oil: Another natural remedy for stretch marks is a mixture of almond oil coconut in equal amounts. Even more, there is little or no side effect with using this combination.
- Apricot mask: Apricots have been found to have skin-exfoliating properties that should be beneficial in the treatment of stretch marks. You can prepare apricot mask by crushing seeded apricots into paste. After making the mask, apply it on the affected areas and leave for about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can massage some apricot oil (mixed with some lemon juice) onto the stretch mark-affected skin.
- Lemon juice: The astringent properties of lemon juice can be used in treating stretch marks. For greater results, you can mix cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply on the marks, leaving the mixture on the skin for about 10 minutes before washing off.
- Shea butter: The antioxidants present in Shea butter are helpful in the removal of stretch marks. In addition, shea butter has anti-inflammatory and skin-nourishing properties, which on regular use can help to keep the skin healthy. You should apply shea butter to your stretch-marked skin several times during the day if you want to get rid of the menace.
- Rosehip oil: Rosehip oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin E. Furthermore, the presence of fatty acids in the oil helps to promote skin healing. To get rid of stretch marks using rosehip oil, apply a few drops of the oil on the affected area in a circular way.
- Potato juice: Potatoes have skin-brightening properties that should be great if you want to get rid of stretch marks. You can prepare potato juice by peeling and blending some potatoes and adding water to the resulting puree.
- Vitamin E oil: Many skin care and cosmetic products, especially those used in the removal of scars and marks, include vitamin E oil as one of their numerous ingredients. The extended use of vitamin E oil in such products is attributed to its antioxidant, skin-nourishing, and anti-inflammatory properties. To reap the benefits of vitamin E oil on the skin, open some vitamin E oil capsules to obtain the oil. Then, apply the oil on the affected skin and leave on for about 10 minutes. Apart from these, vitamin E oil helps to protect the skin from harmful radiation from the sun.
- Drink lots of water: You can also reduce your stretch marks by drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day. Water helps this way by hydrating the skin, as well as in maintaining skin elasticity.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids: Foods such as wild-caught salmon and soybean are high in healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Eating such foods is a natural way of promoting skin elasticity, which, in turn helps to reduce stretch marks.
- Eat vitamin C-rich foods: Vitamin C is a major component of the immune system, as well as an essential component of healthy skin. Examples of vitamin C-rich foods are pineapple, guava, tomatoes, all citrus fruits, melons, and spinach.
- Coffee scrub: The caffeine present in coffee can help to reduce stretch marks on the skin. You can make and use a coffee scrub by mixing ground coffee beans with water to form a paste, and then gently scrubbing the paste over the stretch marks. For better results, you can mix the coffee paste with a tablespoon of olive oil before scrubbing.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is another herbal remedy that can be used in treating stretch marks. Among other benefits, tea tree oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties that should benefit people with stretch marks. Before applying tea tree oil, dilute it in a carrier oil like olive oil.
- Apple cider vinegar: The health benefits of apple cider vinegar are so much to be listed. For instance, the acetic acid present in vinegar has skin-brightening effects. You can apply apple cider vinegar on stretch marks by using a spray bottle. For best results, you should spray the liquid at night before going to bed.
- Sugar scrub: If you find scrubbing your skin with coffee uncomfortable, you can try using sugar. Sugar has exfoliating and healing properties that should come in handy when treating stretch marks. You can prepare sugar scrub by mixing one tablespoon of raw sugar with a few drops of lemon juice and some drops of almond oil. After preparation, apply the scrub onto the affected skin and leave for about 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Black tea: Regular intake of black tea will not only help to get rid of stretch marks, but can also help to prevent the occurrence. The many vitamins and minerals present in black tea are helpful in maintaining perfect skin health. For this purpose, pour some salt into a cup of boiling water with black tea. Bring the mixture down and allow to cool. Then, apply the mixture onto the stretch marks. Continue to repeat this process until the marks are totally gone.
The above-listed remedies are some of the best natural means of treating stretch marks. Make sure to understand your body, so as to use the best and most appropriate remedy.
Finally, an advantage of most of the methods mentioned in this article is the fact that they can be used for preventing stretch marks.